[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: standing waves, and 1/4 wave resonance

Hi Ramsey,

Your water pool analogy for standing waves is pretty accurate.  You start a
wave going and then periodicaly "push" it at just the right time so the
wave grows larger and larger.

1/4 wave resonance is more complex but just imagine a rock suspened from a
string.  You give the rock a little periodic push and you can get it
swinging.  The tied end of the string is like ground since it never moves.
The rock end swings the most like the voltage at the top of a Tesla coil.
If you look at a sine wave, the tied end is similar to the zero phase point
of the wave and the rock corresponds to the 1/4 full wave or 90 degree
point.  This is a little over simplified but it is the basic idea.

Tesla thought that the wire length needed to be 1/4 of the wavelength of a
full cycle in a Tesla coil for best results.  However, we (at least I)
think that other factors or more important as I have discussed before.  Few
people worry about wire lengths being at 1/4 the wavelength anymore.

	Terry