[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help...I'm having a lot of problems here...

to: Kent & Kim

Actually this is a great learning lesson for the youngster.  In engineering
in the real world you carefully calculate the time required to do a
project --- then double it.

You capacitor is a DC capacitor and will not work properly at high frequency
(RF).  You need a capacitor rated for high voltage reversals to do the job.
A quick solution would be to either fill some plastic tupperware (large
ones) with salt water as interior conductor and then coat outside with
strips of aluminum cooking foil.  This will work but efficiency is very
poor.

The spark gap is connected directly across the transformer output terminals.
The cap is connected from the "high end" of the sparkgap to the tuning tap
on the primary.  If your transformer is single ended (one bushing) then you
can connect other end of spark gap and capacitor to ground.  If your
transformer is "floating" (2 HV bushings) then you have to keep everything
in the primary circuit insulated from ground or it will just be shorting
out.

If his project is due this Thursday I would suggest a few "all nighters" and
change the project to:  Transformers -- What They are and How They Work.
Then you just need the ignition transformer and a few wire "coathangers" on
insulators (plastic soda pop bottles are ok for short notice).  Form a 12
inch high V shape with 1/8 inch at bottom and 3 inches wide at top.  This is
a climbing arc and was used for early lightning arrestors.  They strategy
could save your project and get you a good score on the science fair.

The 10 kV, 25 mA value you listed is a standard value for Oil Burner
Ignition Transformer (we call them OBIT's for short).

We've seen others on the list trying to make a TC in a few weeks or less so
don't feel bad.  It's a learning experience.

You can also obtain a free set of plans for a nice TC by sending me a $3.20
stamped priority mail envelope --- self addressed.  My address is 10700 N La
Reserve Dr, Ste 20105, Tucson, AZ, 85737.

Our website located at www.ResonanceResearch-dot-com

Best regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net