[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: This phase shift stuff... - Plane Wave]

Hi all,

I always understood that the issue is simply one of a standing wave - we
*do* design our coils to be effectively quarter wave resonant at the
operating frequency. The length of wire needed is not that much, after all,
we do have trouble finding enough wire in on piece to complete our mad
designs! In addition, the self-capacitance and top-loading effectively
increase the electrical length of the winding. In that case, I do think
that there may be just cause for the transmission line model - although
obviously in a system of this nature other elements have to be taken into
account - ie the capacitance of corona discharges, leakage and winding
resistance etc. I think when someone talks about the 90 degree phase shift
in a TC sec, they are not talking about a shift between the top and bottom
of the coil but instead the near-90 degree shift between the voltage and
current waveforms along the sec; as I understand it the phase shift could
never be completely 90 degrees as this would imply our top terminal being
at an infinite voltage with no current whatsoever. I know this may be
simplistic, but I cannot help but think that simple is sometimes best!

Oh, also re: Capacitor ideas, etc, everyone building bottle caps seems to
be using glass - this would seem to be counter-intuitive as all the facts
point to this being high-loss material. I personally wouldn't trust a bank
of beer bottles to withstand anything more than a kilowatt, and I would
have thought that in the US you have as many plastic soft-drink bottles as
we do here in the UK! OK, they may need to be connected in series, but I'm
sure they would give better results! A safety gap across them and you're
away anyway...

Safe and happy coiling everyone,

Alex Crow

PS My custom-built neons are lovely - I got a Jacob's Ladder running as
soon as I got them, and I was getting the arc to climb about three feet
with that lovely fizzing hum - I can't wait to get those caps charged! They
even threw in free power factor correction capacitors!