[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Design of my first coil

I'm about to build my first coil, but before starting, I would like to tell
you how I plan to build it, and I would really like to have some feedback
from you, experienced coilers.

1) I found a NST 12KV 30ma that I'm planing to use. According to the
formula I found on a TC site, the matching capacitance would be 0.0066 uF
(micro farad). I planned to build either a SW cap or a alu-glass cap. But
this morning, my physics teacher showed me an "object" (It's most likely a
cap, but who knows...) here is what is written on it: Spargue, 500MMFD
20KV. 20KV??? It will work fine for my coil, but what does 500 MMFD mean???
0.5 uF (If it's that, it is way too big)?? 0.0005 uF???(better; I would
need 10 or 12 of these) Can I use these???

2) Spark Gap : Satic Gap with 5 gaps. total spacing : 0.25'' (with a
computer fan to get rid of the heat.) Do I need more gaps???

3)Primary: copper wire (0.25'' diameter) in a flat spirale. Inner Turn
diameter : 6.5''. Spacing between turns 0.25''. 12 turns should be What I
need, but I plan to have 15 turn for tuning... Main question : Is the flat
spiral the best or should I build a cone???

4)Secondary: PVC pipe. Winding diameter 4.5''. winding length 18''. Now, I
read somewehere that I should use a wire AWG 24. My question is : What is
the diameter of such wire and where could I find 1000 feet (old transformer
etc???)

I have thousands of other questions, but here are the basic ones. Oh! a
last one. What would happen if the capacitance of the main tank is way too
big (let's say 100 times too big???)

I would really appreciate your answers, suggestions and comments...

Sincerly
Sam