[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Triac-dimmers in TC's

Has anyone had experience using a solid-state off-the-shelf lamp dimmer
to control the speed of a motor in a Tesla Coil?  I'm currently using a
variac on my gap's vacuum cleaner motor, but I thought I'd save some
space and just use a solid-state dimmer.  The motor is an AC/DC
"universal" type.  I'm just wondering if the voltage spikes and
interference would either toast the semiconductors or confuse the control
circuit.  Please don't speculate and suggest using a filter unless you
know, from experience, that it won't work without it.

Thanks, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA