[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Elementary Lecture

Hi folks,
I have done class demos in the past and when I get another coil going I
want to use it in my lecture also.
However, I have had the question of liability especially on a coil that
shoots off a  foot or greater sparks.
The classrooms that I have been in are loaded with computers and I would
be affraid that a large coil would fry something or at least the
accusation might be there.  I thought that if I were to do this and plan
it, I would request a more neutral location like the auditorium or
lunchroom.  Any other comments on this would be appreciated.

Russ Thornton

Original Poster: "Ross W. Overstreet" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

That is an excellent question that I would love to see answered.  An
even
better
twist is that I have noticed that after the arcs reach the 30 inch
range, they
don't seem to "care" as much about the ground rod and seem just as happy

reaching
out into space.

Brian Basura's coil doesn't even seem to like ground rods, even though
he is
producing healthy 4-5 ft arcs!  Yes, I'm sure the rod and the bottom of
his
secondary were adequately grounded... Is there a scientific explanation
for
this
or is his coil just "confused"? hehehe

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

> Original Poster: Brandywine <brandywine-at-writeme-dot-com>
>
>    Why sparks will leap between the toroid and a grounded object is
quite
> understandable; but the magic of a Tesla coil is that sparks
spontaneously
> branch
> out into thin air, connecting with seemingly nothing.

... snip...

--
Ross Overstreet
ICQ# 20762411