[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire gauge

Sam:

Your difficulties in dealing with the wire size information is basically a
by-product of manufacturing tolerances on two variables.  The wire
manufacturers will always provide a size "range" for the copper conductor,
plus a film build range.  Both of these items have a minimum and a maximum
size listed in the Engineering data books available, from some of the bigger
copper wire sources, such as Essex or Phelps-Dodge.  Each manufacturer then
has their own wire insulation films.  These films or "varnishes" as they are
traditionally referenced as, can be purchased in a light build, medium
build, heavy build, or even some manufacturer's now have an inverter duty
wire, or super heavy build.  No wonder you have been puzzled!

The reality of the matter is that for winding your secondary, you will never
notice any significant impact if you use one value of 58 turns per inch and
then see another that's 55 turns per inch.  Don't stay up late worrying.

If it helps I do have the Essex Engineering Data book and several handy
booklets that provide all of their particular numbers.  The copper wire
diameter will normally match the AWG gauge sizes quite well but the overall
diameter with film will be the bigger variable from one source to the next.
Below I have listed the three wire sizes you mentioned, followed by the
nominal copper diameter and then the low and then the high limit for the
standard film build.  If anyone has a need for details like this I could
scan some of the pages and post them.  My book covers AWG 4 to 44 wire sizes
in 1/2 step increments, in single, double, and triple film builds.  Now the
three sizes requested:

#22            .0253"                .0271"            .0281"

#24            .0201"                .0218"            .0227"

#26            .0159"                .0174"            .0182"

Note:  The above film builds are for the triple build wire types, which have
the highest breakdown values

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI