[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rheostats

Mike,

Not a good idea - your rheostats will go up in a cloud of smoke!  You need
low ohm resistors that can dissapate kilowatts.  You can calculate the
power your rheostats can handle as I x I x R.  If you draw 15 KVA from 240
VAC, your current will be on the order of 62 amps.  Better to use several
electric stove elements in parallel, preferably in combination with an arc
welder.  See the many postings in the archives about pig ballasting.  But
your rheostats could be a good RQ/TCBOR fan speed controller.

--Steve

-

-