[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: the toroids size?

to: Finn

You can find the capacitance of your sec coil with the frequency equation.
You have three variables: frequency, inductance, and capacitance.  You have
measured your freq and inductance, so using these values just solve the
equation for capacitance and plug in your values.  The result will be your
sec coil capacitance (self-capacitance).  This is increased only slightly
by your environment, so be sure to elevate the sec coil approx 12 to 16
inches off any ground plane object such as a table or concrete, etc.

You now the the calculated cap together with your measured toroid cap for
the final value of total system cap.

With a primary cap of around .02 MFD and 120 ma of driving (charging
current) in the range of 9 to 15 kV you will have a nice output spark.
When you first set up your primary use lots of turns (16-20) of scrap wire,
and then after tuning, replace with nice-looking and more efficient copper
tubing.

Have fun.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net