[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design

>   Increasing the coulombs and joules of energy would result in a spark when
> the breakout voltage is reached so the energy would not increase the voltage
> but would be lost in the spark. What I cannot find in the literature is what
> the efficiences are for these real world VDG conditions.

Take a look at Craggs and Meek, "High Voltage Laboratory Technique",
published by Butterworth Scientific Publishers in 1954. They have a
whole chapter on Van deGraaf generators, including performance numbers,
efficiencies, various belt configurations, etc. It's out of print, but
most good college libraries have it, and I got a copy via interlibrary
loan.

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213