[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ignition coil HV supplies?

Hello Scott, Sam, Barry, and list.

I've been watching the three of you discuss various ways of extracting
large amts of HV power from ignition coils using dimmers, scrs and the
like.

I suggest you check out this page on my site:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/capecanaveral/hangar/6160/hvtank/hvtank.html

This page describes the theory of operation of the SCR switching supply
from a 60kva 140 kv x-ray transformer.

This device dumps a 4 to 40 uf cap at 250 volts into an inductive load
(like an ignition coil? :)  ) at a rate of 6-9KHz.

Perhaps that'll give you a hint as to how to abuse your coils more
efficiently!

One key thing is that they added extra inductance separate from the
load.  This inductance limits the di/dt of the current - which is
required if you want your SCRs to survive...

-Bill