[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SCR based coils (was High-Power Car Ignition Coils)

At 11:58 PM 1/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Scott Stephens wrote:
>
>>I would use a snubber or free-wheel diode on that SCR. I've seen an
>circuit
>>for a kitchen stove's induction heater, which featured one. Basicaly a
>fast
>>turn on anti-parallel diode to the SCR.
>
>Scott - can you (or anyone) provide me any additional information on
>SCR-based switchers (like those found in induction heating)?  I'm not
>sure but it looks like it might be possible to build very high powered
>switchers upwards of 20KHz.  That might be high enough to power some of
>the very large coils some coilers have constructed.
>
>Thanks loads!  I'm in the process of disassembling a 60kva SCR switcher
>x-ray transformer (sorry - runs at 6-9 KHz).
>
>-Bill

I've been working on an SCR based coil for a while now and hopefully soon I
should be posting a webpage about it. My number one resource for design has
been:

SCR Manual
Sixth Edition
General Electric

I belive it's available through amazon-dot-com.

I also have found the Powerex SCR databooks to be of use.
Check out www.pwrx-dot-com