[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harmonics

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Russell Babylon <babylon-at-ccpl.carr.lib.md.us>
>
> Being new at tesla coils I have a basic question.  Should the
> frequencies at which your primary and secondary coils operate be
> harmonics?  I assume that this is what is happening when people speak of
> adjusting the primary coil with some sort of adjustable tap.  The power
> transfer should be greatest when the secondary is operating at a
> harmonic of the primary coil frequency.

  Rus,

Usually the primary of a tesla coil is set to resonate at the SAME frequency
that the secondary rings at.  this is akin to pushing a swing every time it
rocks back.  However, there are some cases where the secondary is set to
ring at a harmonic of pri freq  as you mentioned.  I am making such a device
which actually has two secondaries inside a race-track style primary that
resonate at different harmonics of the pri freq...  this interference wave
between the output of the two secondaries will cause the coils to arc
between eachother.

Cabbott