From: Tesla List +ADw-tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com+AD4-
To: tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com +ADw-tesla+AEA-pupman-dot-com+AD4-
Date: Sunday, January 10, 1999 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: SCR based coils (was High-Power Car Ignition Coils)

Original Poster: +ACI-Bill the arcstarter+ACI-
+ADw-arcstarter+AEA-hotmail-dot-com+AD4-

Eddie Burwell +ADw-eburwell+AEA-HIWAAY-dot-net+AD4- wrote:

+AD4-I've been working on an SCR based coil for a while now and hopefully
soon I
+AD4-should be posting a webpage about it. My number one resource for
design
has
+AD4-been:
+AD4-
+AD4-SCR Manual
+AD4-Sixth Edition
+AD4-General Electric
+AD4-
+AD4-I belive it's available through amazon-dot-com.
+AD4-
+AD4-I also have found the Powerex SCR databooks to be of use.
+AD4-Check out www.pwrx-dot-com

Unfortunately the GE SCR manual appears to be out of print. :(

I'm trying to do phase control of an inductive load (welder).  See the
following circuit:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/temp/triac.html

The question is how to size the gate resistor.  Too large a resistor
won't allow a quick turn-on of the part, but too small a resistor
would
allow a possibly large gate current.  This problem appears to be
aggravated by the fact that the voltage across the resistor depends on
the firing angle.

If anyone has any comments on that - I'd love to hear them.  My
present
design is less than reliable. :(  I'm not sure if I've been starving
the
gate or not.

(The circuit doesn't show the 100 ohm 0.1 uf snubber which is attached
across the triac terminals)

Now I know why most industrial designs use a small pulse transformer
between the cathode and the gate - rather than shunting current from
the
anode into the gate...

-Bill

+AF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8
AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBfAF8AXwBf-