[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sam Barros' Latest experiments:-)

At 02:03 AM 1/14/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: Sam Barros <sambarros-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>Greetings Fellow Coilers!
>
>I didn't
>receive a whole lot of response on it and some of the few responses I
>got were from people doubting the fact that it was outputting 1.1kW
>and whereabouts. Hopefully that is cleared out now.

I doubt you are outputing 1.1KW. I don't doubt you are inputing 1.1kW.

> Progress is slow. We now know how to increase the frequency of the
>spark but that drastically decreases the length of the arc (as
>expected). We also used a 70uF capacitor bank to pulse the coil (we
>took caps from both devices and put it into one). Triggering had to be
>done manually but the sparks definitely increased in power. Which
>indicates that the coil is not saturating yet (good:).

>From my measurements of car coil's, their maximum frequency peak (secondary

peak) is around 2KHz with the core in and 10KHz with it out. The maximum Q
(IIRC) is 20, no core at 10KHz. If you analyze and/or simulate your circuit,
and themaly evaluate your coil, you will realize the implications. Which is
why I'm not messing with them - yet.
If you search the archive, you can find Terry and my measurements.

>I suspect the energy
>might be sufficient to heat the anode by ion bombardment and the
>voltage could possibly accelerate them enough for x-ray production...
>I don't have a suitable Geiger counter but I do know that a green glow
>is associated with x-rays. Anyone can shine some light on this?

I've read they can do that (see the X-ray chapter in Stong's Amature
Scientist book), but they are soft because the cathode has a low atomic
weight, and gass to slow electrons down.

> Oh, also when I turn it off I can see it filled with a faintly
>glowing blue gas, which soon fades away... Looks cool!!!

I've noticed that too.

> Well, anyway, analysis has revealed Magnetron short-circuit and MOT
>overheating.

I've read Magnetron's can be revived, like NiCd's, by pulsing with a
capacitor. This vaporizes the metal filaments that short the anode and
cathode.