[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sam Barros' Latest experiments:-)

Hi folks...
I was mucking around with hotwire explosions etc a few years ago, and
one of the best things for this instead of a spark gap is an ignitron.
They are not perhaps too good for coil use as they are a bit slow to
ionize, but even a smallone can hold off lots of kv ( someone was
telling me that if you encased the entire top of one where the anode
lead comes out you could get it to hold 20kv!) and they will just sit
there until you trigger them  - at which point you can get pulses of
10000 - 15000amps! to flow if your caps are suitably rated. This pulse
current rating will not do any damage to the tube. I was triggering them
with a 0.5uf cap charged to about 800 - 1000v thru a 2 ohm resistor .
The cathode of these tubes are mercury and the whole thing is sealed in
vacuum , so they will only really suffer damage electronically if you
damage the ignitor or melt the anode with very long high current pulses
( 10's of ms). The bonus of these tubes over a spark gap is that the
discharge happens on cue - rather than when breakover point is reached
at some stage, and the voltage drop is less - so more energy can be
devoted to blowing something up...

>From tesla-request-at-pupman-dot-com Wed Jan 13 02:21:32 1999
>Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:58:41 -0700
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com