[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SCR based coils (was High-Power Car Ignition Coils)

Normal SCR's will switch on only with positive gate current. The max
pulsed value of gate current permissible should be quite a good deal
more than cont. gate current rating - check the spec on the device you
are using though. There is a fairly obscure scr variant known as a GTO -
Gate Turn Off thyristor - in this a + gate current switches the device
on - and this device functions essentially identically to a standard SCR
except that a - gate current will trigger the device OFF. I tested a few
of these that I found recently and noted that the gate current for turn
off is higher than the gate current for turn on. TRIACS are AC switches
and not only will conduct in either direction but can also be triggered
by either polarity of gate current - as there are 4 possible operating
modes here they are referred to as 'quadrants' ie main supp + gate+  /
ms + g- / ms - g+ / ms- g-
operation in 3 of the 4 quadrants is preferred for most triacs, with +
gate current (2cases) being 2 of the 3 preferred (I forget which the
other usual one is). You can get some which are '4 quadrant guaranteed
', but in any case, the + gate modes are generally faster and/or req.
less current. SCR's however are much faster than triacs of equivalent
ratings and so are preferable unless you are req'ing ac switching. dv/dt
exceeding spec'd max may cause false triggering due to current pulse
charging parasitic gate capacitance, and also very important is di/dt -
excess rate of current rise as device switches on can lead to hot spots
in the device resulting in premature failure. Typical stud mount devices
may req around 100ma for trig , hockey pucks can require substantially
more than that. I think a higher gate current will lead to faster turn
on time, but di/dt rating should be observed - External circuit
inductances will have a large effect on this, with some very large scr
systems I have seen using di/dt limiting inductors on each device.
Dan