[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitance of a coil

Hi Carlos,

	My program (E-Tesla) should be able to do this.  However, bare coils are
rather hard for the program at this point.  Long thin coils fall on the
grid poorley which causes accuracy problems.  I am now working on version 3
which I hope will be much more capable in this area.  Also such coils are
very sensitive to the surroundings both in real life and when modeled.

Bare Coils (without a terminal) are rather interesting.  The voltage along
them seems to have a sine distribution which makes hand calculations rather
messy.  They store charge disproportionatelly along their length.  The area
around the bottom of the coil is not contributing much to the overall
effect.  A field map is most usefull here to get an idea of what is going
on.  Interestingly, the program always seems to predict a lower value for
the capacitance.  This may be real but the implications of what it would be
telling us is unknown.  It may be that the low currents near the top of the
coil are causing the inductance to appear lower than what a meter would
measure.  There are still some unknowns here.  The program seems to
indicate all is not as simple as we would like it to be :-)).

		Terry