[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

At 02:52 AM 1/17/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

>  Scott, All -
>
>  My understanding of a Tesla coil.
>
>  The Tesla coil operation has no mechanical or other electrical analogy.

Are you trolling me? It may be shorter to list the systems that can't be
approximated by the classic 2nd order differential equations that describe
the basic coupled resonators of the Tesla Coil. I know one of my text books
makes direct mechanical analogs between force, mass, spring and dampers, and
inductance, capacitance and resistance, and charge, describing both with
differential equations & Laplace transforms.

The theory is present in (all?) facets of analog engineering; control
(servo) systems, RF & filters, even lasers. Digital may appear to have
little in common, but lately I've been considering how linear recursive
shift registers and FIR/IIR filters are similar to analog computers, delay
lines and matched filters, cryptography and chaos. But now I'm into
higher-order functions; in other words, more than 2 coupled resonators and
modes of vibrating.

Maybe Cabbot will see the face of chaos in his dual coupled resonator
system? Since the system is spark excited, and the spark gap is untriggered,
significantly dependant on plasma & chemical effects, significant random
jitter, and this can feed back to a possibly resonant charging system,
things could get real interesting.

This is why I believe a triggered spark gap could allow long term stable
operation of a under-engineered resonant charging coil, that without
trigger-stabilizing, would otherwise self-destruct. Sort of like a cardiac
pacemaker preventing fibrillation. The spark gap and safety gap lengths
would be increased for higher-voltage charging, but without high-frequency
jittery transients assaulting the cheap transformer.

>No other
>electrical apparatus can produce ultra high voltages with large amounts of
>energy. This leaves out tube, solid state, ignition, all pulse type
>circuits, Van DeGraaff generators, Linear Accelerators, Marx generators, etc.

Do a web search for "explosive driven flux compression amplifier" and
"Wakefield Effect"