[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wattmeter

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
> Frederico,
>
> I suspect he meant to say Electronic Design (ED), not EDN.  The original
> article was in ED 14 Oct 1994, and an improved circuit is in ED 14 Apr
> 1997.
>
> --Steve
>
> ----------
> > From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: Wattmeter
> > Date: Monday, January 18, 1999 12:22 PM
> >
> > Original Poster: fprice3 <fprice3-at-acnet-dot-net>
> >

> > Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > > Original Poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>
> > >
> > > Terry, John, ALL
> > >
> > > The original wattmeter which I used was found in EDN magazine; October
> > > 14, 1994 edition, "Ideas for Design" segment titled Optical Isolator
> > > Computes Watts.  I immeditely recognized that this circuit could help
> > > stop the banter about my KVA is bigger than your kVA BS and cut to the
> > > chase with a parameter which is a primary measurement standard; POWER.
> > >

> > I searched the EDN Mag database and got this answer:
> >
> > "    The following matches were found in the EDN Archives for the search
> on
> > OPTICAL ISOLATOR
> >     AND WATTS. The results are ordered with the closest match listed
> first.
> > Higher scores indicate better
> >     matches.
> >     The search engine found 0 item(s) matching the search criteria"
> >
> > Their database only goes back to Jan 1994.  Can you pls. give us more
> info?

> > > The circuits are in the public domain and are probably available by
> this
> > > tool (the interthingy).  All components are
> > > available at MCM or Digikey.
> > > Regards
> > > DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR
> >
> > you are probably right, ave, but I would like a bit more info: do you
> have a
> > diagram you could post?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Federico Price

Terry, Steve, ALL

Sorry about the miscommunication..  :^C

Optoisolated wattmeter was in Electronic Design originally.

I've been spending time attacking this alligator for my high power
design and have come up with a possible solution:
1.  Wind a 50:1 current transformer (CT) on ferrite core.  Pass
    main power path =insulated= conductor through opening with
    additional polyethylene tubing insulation.  This will feed
    a shunt of approximately 12 milliohms.
2.  Apply 0-240VAC in through a small ~50VA PCB mounted 120/240 to 12/24
    step down transformer (mini-potential transformer [PT]). Excite
    as is shown in drawing, except that no load is across the
    PT; the PT feeds one end of the CT shunt and Vsense input, the
    CT powers the shunt resistance.  The rest of the circuit is
    as shown with appropriate op-amp meter scaling. (0-10V = 0-10kW)
3.  The op-amp output of 2 feeds a baragraph display consisting of
    (5) LM3914 bargraph display driver IC's which feed 50 LEDs in a
    semicircular configuration.  Additional LEDS and switches are
    placed in circuit to configure a WATTMETER CONTROLLER.  If power
    limit is achieved, a relay will drop main contactor (an independent
    high speed overcurrent trip system in case of a component fault
    or other high speed high power calamity  :^C  ).
4.  Op amp in 2 also feeds a small DVM which read 0.0 to 10.0 which
    corresponds to 0-10kW)
5.  Entire smeter subsystem to be place in DOUBLE SHIELDED aluminum
    mini-box, all field wiring to be one point shielded.
6.  Estimated cost of entire system: <$150.

Will keep group appraised on progress (or lack thereof  :^C )

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR