[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why do my caps keep blowing?

David,
When you connect the transformer and the capacitor up together
with no primary and no secondary, then you will experience the
full effects of what we call RESONANT RISE. With a 12KV
transformer you can easily be creating a resonant rose of 60KV
or more. This is probably what is killing your capacitor...
you are lucky it didn't take out your transformer, too!

I have been able to get over 100KV of resonant rise from a
12KV transformer. At that point there were nasty white arcs
snaking across the entire surface of the HV insulators!

Always test with a spark gap, safety gap, primary and
secondary system in place!

Fr. Tom McGahee