[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

60 Hz Resonant Circuit?!?!

I need help. I am running (or rather attempting to run) a moderately-sized
tesla coil off of a 12,000 volt, 30 milliamp current-limited neon sign
transformer. Every design program or mathematical document I've seen has
said that I need to match my primary capacitor to the impedence of my
transformer (volts/current). And yet, if I use the ideal capacitor value to
match my 60 Hz mains frequency, which is 0.0066 uF, my primary coil suddenly
doesn't have enough turns to run the primary circut at the secondary coil's
resonent frequency. My question is, how important is it really to have the
right size capacitor? Is it alright to run, say, a 0.01 uF capacitor with
this transformer? How much will this effect the coil's output? How much over
can I go? I'd appreciate any help.

-Yuri Markov

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com