[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UK MMC bulk order

 Reinhard,

One good feature of the resistors is that you don't have to try and discharge
all the charged caps when repairing the device.  The one I made with 350 -
4.7uf caps was a [$#-at-*&!]  to discharge. I should have added them also. I
ended up wrapping the whole thing in al. foil to discharge them. Good idea
Terry.

R. Scott Coppersmith

In a message dated 7/6/99 4:31:49 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>

 Hi Mike, all,

 > Original Poster: wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk (Mike Harrison)
 > Does anyone have any definite findings either way for
 >the need for equalising resistors in an MMC? I seem to
 >remember seeing a comment that they were unlikely to help.

 I (still) run my MMC without the equalising resistors. I have
 not seen any *real* unequal DC voltage distribution among
 the many caps. My MMC is doing just fine. I know Terry
 will disagree with me (he loves those Eq-Rs), but I donīt
 think that the MMC in a TC will see a build up of DC voltage.
 On the other hand, a la Terryīs new formulas, my MMC is
 rated at *very good* (T0 is a mere 1.5, which supports my
 touch and feel results (no heating felt), as you canīt measure
 such a small change in temperature with your hand).

 However, I WILL use EQ-Rs for the final setup. Not because
 of DC build up, but in order to discharge the caps after
 shutdown. While I have not seen any huge residual voltage,
 caps CAN (as the dielectric flexes and returns to original
 shape) build up considerable voltage after a while. Plus, if
 you have a large amount of caps, you need to discharge
 them individually. Just shorting the bus connectors will NOT
 necessarily discharge all the caps within the MMC.

 Bottom line is: a 10Meg resistor across each cap isnīt a
 too expensive life insurance and it wonīt steal any real
 power away from your TC, so there is good reason to
 use them.

 Coiler thoughts and greets from germany,
 Reinhard