[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: genetic programming

Hello.

I had a class about "Genetic Programming" some time ago. In a few words, it is
an alternative metod for solving optimization problem: you have a "cost"
function that tells you how good is your result and a set of parameters to
assign a value to. The genetic algorithm just explores a set of values and
(possibly) finds the global optimum.

A genetic algorithm is usually faster than a usual hill-climbing one, for
problems including also local maximums, but IT IS NOT GUARANTEED TO CONVERGE.

As any optimum-search algorithm, it is time consuming and that's probably why
they use such a computer for it. I ran my genetic algorithms on my home PC (!).

So, no free lunch here!