[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: genetic programming

Marco wrote:
>A genetic algorithm is usually faster than a usual hill-climbing one, for
>problems including also local maximums, but IT IS NOT GUARANTEED TO
>CONVERGE.

Yes.  This is certainly true, but to be fair *no* search algorithm is
guaranteed to find the global minimum.

>As any optimum-search algorithm, it is time consuming and that's probably
>why they use such a computer for it. I ran my genetic algorithms on my home
>PC (!).

Also true.  However the runtime of a genetic search will increase linearally
as the number of variables increases.  Most other search algoritm increase
geometrically with the number of variables.  This is where genetic
techniques really shine.

-Bill

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com