[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Need Help with 15 degree Primary Support System

I would recommend making the supports out of Lexan, much easier to drill and
machine than acrylic (Plexiglass) or wood.  Pictures and descriptions are at
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm

Definitely start winding at the inside.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

		I'm soliciting any tips, suggestions or hints on building a
support
		system for a 15 degree, 16 turn primary using 1/4" copper
tubing
		for my 15kv 60ma 6" secondary system. Spacing is 1/4"
between
		turns OD, and 1/2" center-to-center. I derived the 16 turn
from
		data input into Wintesla program.

		I had initially tried putting in 8 wooden supports at
slightly more
		than 8 inches in length to give me the 16 turns out of 1x4
for
		the wood. I used 1/4" coax cable naildowns spacely evenly
		along the top of the wood but the entire affair ended up as
		disaster and I had to remove everything before I actually
put the
		whole length of tubing in. The coax supports weren't deep
enough
		to hold the pipe in place when I tried a small length of
pipe in
		them, as the tubing kept popping up and out. I used silicone
		glue to fasten the cable holdowns to the top of the wood but
this
		proved to be a mistake. I then tried putting small brad
nails through
		the hole provided in the coax naildowns but they split the
wood and
		it also gave me a concern for providing a path to promote
arcing
		from turn to turn of the tubing.

		I ended up in frustration removing all the supports to start
over.

		I know there HAS to be a better method.  I would appreciate
		any help from some of you old vet coilers on this.

		I also did try cutting notches into the wood 1/4" to make
the
		u-shaped channels for the tubing but I couldn't get an even
		depth and it kept splitting the wood. Apparently using a 1x4
		isn't necessarily a good choice of wood.

		Also, I need to know is it better to start the winding of
the
		tubing from inside to outside?

		Thanks,

		Don