[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest MMC Calculations...

Generally, you multiply life multipliers... So, say you had a part spec'd
at 1000 hours, and if you have a factor of 2.1 for reduced voltage, and an
factor of .2 for pulse rate, the overall life would be 2.1*.2 = 1000*.42 or
420 hours....

This presumes the factors don't interact...

Now, if you are dealing with probabilities of failure, it gets a bit more
complex....
Say you have 2 parts with certain probabilities of failure in a given time
span:

Pfailure (total) = PfailureA + PfailureB - PfailureA*PfailureB

If the Pfailures are very small, then the product is very very small and
can be ignored..  You can turn MTBF into failure probability, however, it
is a bit tricky... Say a year has 2000 hours (heh,heh),, If the MTBF is
1000 hours, the probability of failure is NOT 2.. It isn't even 1 (some of
the parts won't fail, just the mean time to failure is half a year)...

Of course, if the MTBF is 1,000,000 hrs, then you can probably get away
with assuming Pfailure (in one hour) is 1E-6

The Reference Data for Radio Engineers (aka the ITT book) has a chapter on
this stuff that has plug and chug equations, as do most other handbooks. If
you are a glutton for punishment, there is always MIL-HDBK-217