[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new MTC-1 pictures

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Jamie Mereness <mereness-at-dti-dot-net>
>
> Wow, Robert, these pictures are awesome!  Almost makes me want to move to
> the 'burbs so I could use a coil of your size without having ConEd knock on
> my door (urban coiler blues...).  What were your photographic techniques?
> These shots blow away so many others on the web...
>
> with envious respect,
>
> Jamie Mereness
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>
> >
> > All,
> >
> > Chip has just posted 4 new images of the most recent and spectacular
> > test of my MTC-1 8 kVA hobby coil.  One image shows numerous streamers
> > connecting with the Area-31 lifting gantry at the end of the test track
> > traversing a measured 13+ feet.  This coil has an Fo of exactly 80KHz
> > and really hurls 'em. The fluorescent tubes in the pictures are the long
> > 8 foot jobs.
> >
> > www.pupman-dot-com/current/rstephens/index.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert W. Stephens

Jamie,

Thank's for the complements.  I use a tripod mounted 35mm Minolta SLR
set to bulb and use a remote shutter release cable.  The photos you
commented on are all ~5 second exposures.  I set the lens at F5.6 and
use Kodak Gold 400 ASA film. I pre-set the camera lens focus on the
Tesla coil topload. Don't use artificial illumination.  In my case there
is plenty of light coming off the streamers and rotary gap to illuminate
the entire scene adequately.  In this series of pictures I also set my
lens zoom to provide a generous view of the area around the coil to
insure that I'd catch _all_ of the streamer activity.  I then cropped
the pictures digitally after scanning the original photographs.

BTW, I think these most recent photographs are my very best so far!
Good luck.

Robert W. Stephens