[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ignition coil : mini tesla coil?

I've also built a circuit like this, and while it does work well, I'm not
at all sure it can be compared to a tesla tank circuit. I used a 600 watt
variable light dimmer in series with a few motor start capacitors(caps in
parallel).
At first I could never take the capacitance over 4 uf without strange
bubbling and knocking noises coming from both caps and coil. The thing,
after I added extra insulation, in the form of -A LOT- of silicone
sealant, produced a 2" long thick swath of hot, snapping sparks. They
appeared to be bursts of high frequency ac.
I never was able to get a coil system to run off it.

Now, after removing the coil from its case, replacing a fried primary,
fixing a break in the secondary, and removing the high voltage return
connection from the negative side of the primary, It performs much
better.

I use 8uf or more, and the thing gives sparks as large as I can separate
the hvout wires (no more than ~3.5"). No bubbling or knocking noises,
now.

-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich,  Medina, OH
See my HV Haven (recently new-and-improved!!)
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.htm

Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/dynoget/tagj.