[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary: flat or conical ?

While he is new at this, he did ask a simple question.  Come to think of it,
you
haven't been here all that long either....

Off to his question.  If your using a low power system, you might want a
helical
or conical primary.  Generally, the closer the primary is to the secondary,
the
more power will be coupled over to your secondary.

If you only have one transformer, say a 9kv or 12kv, 30ma perhaps, you might
want to consider a helical (striaght up and down) primary or a conical one.
If you do make a conical one, I would recommend 15 or 20 degrees.  You don't
want the outer-most turn too close to the toroid, even if you have a strike
rail.

On the other hand, if you have more power to deal with (greater than 500va)
you might consider a flat or 15 degree primary.  I have a 6"x26" secondary,
and
was able to get 70" sparks from a 15 turn primary with a 15 degree rise.
Upon
constructing a flat primary,  no noticable change was visible.

Based on my observations and tests over the years, with a medium sized coil,
no
difference warranted the extra time required for a tilted primary.

Either way you choose to go, the results will be good.  One note though, if
you
make a helical primary, don't make it go more than 15% up the length of the
secondary, or you might experience some corona from the primary to
secondary.