[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT's for sale, or advise for a MOT

Hi.

I believe some  MOT's are inductively current limited. All the ones I have seen
are.  If you look at the windings you should see a block of laminations either
side of the central core between the primary and secondary windings, if its
like the ones I have seen.  This allows some flux from the primary to bypass
the secondary and visa versa.  It provides leakage inductance to the secondary
and  reduces the output voltage.  The unit I tested on a dead short draw about
twice its current rating.  Incidentally it is relatively simple to knock out
the lamination blocks if you need to for some reason.  One more point most of
the units I have seen look small for there power ratings.  They may require fan
cooling at full power.

Hope this helps.

Regards Alwyn