[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coil questions

Hello all. My coil is basically physically completed.  But I can't get
any output off the toroid. Here are my specs:

12/60 NST
.01 ish uF cap (see below)
16 turns 1/4" Cu tubing, .4" center-to-center spacing
4" diam thin wall PVC pipe w/ 16" of 22g wire
toroid approx 18" across made from 4" dia aluminum ducting
spark gap is two adjustable bolts (I know, I know, it's just for now!)
all interconnects are with 6 gauge wire

I have tried various tap points with no luck.  I have some suspicions as
to what might be wrong. My cap is an EMMC type with 2 strings of 10 .056
1600V panasonic caps.  Is there an easy way to verify that the total
capacitance is .01 ish?  Is there a decent and affordable meter I should
look into purchasing (brand, model, etc)?

Also, what should my spark gap spacing be? How exactly does this affect
tuning?

I plan on getting a 15/60 to match my MMC but shouldn't I still be able
to get at least some output?

On a different note does it matter if the NST is across the spark gap or
the MMC? It seems to me having the gap across the NST would be better
because the primary might act as sort of choke to help protect the NST
from kick back from the cap.

While I'm still blabbering, has anyone tried using some sort of dual RSG
to temporarily disconnect the NST from the system while the cap fires
(to protect the NST)?  Or is the timing of the cap firing too erratic to
attempt such a thing?

TIA

-Stan