[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Auzzie coilers

In a message dated 7/22/99 1:25:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>      How can I tell if my coil is over coupled or under coupled?
>  I'm running a 4.25" coil with a 30 degree primary on 1350VA and am getting
>  terrible results after tweaking everything from the caps to the ground
rods.
>  could over coupling be a major factor here???
>
>  thanks

Michael,

You generally want to be as tightly as coupled as possible for the best
performance.  This would be to the point where you have the primary and
secondary too tightly coupled which will usually cause racing sparks up and
down on the secondary then elevate the secondary or lower the primary from
there until the problem goes away.  I don't know how to do this without trial
and error.  When I used a 30 degree primary with my 6.0" secondary, I had to
raise the secondary up 2.5" from the lowest primary turn to avoid
overcoupling problems.

Ed Sonderman