[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

An Oudin Resonator with a peculiar style of winding the secondary

Hello,

I have just done some experiments in winding space-wound secondary coils
where the spacing inbetween turns increases as you near the top of the coil.

http://www.lvstrings-dot-com/peculiar.htm
is a link with actual size pictures.

The idea came about in a strange fashion, and there is not a whole lot of
scientific logic behind it.  I needed a compact coil that produced an 8-12
shower of powerful sparks, yet also needed to fit within a rectangular box
7" wide 7" deep x 16" long.  That didn't leave much room for a primary coil
of the usual fashion, and I simply could not fill the box with oil as it
needed to be lightweight.  So both coils would need to be wound on the same
diameter coil, like an Oudin Resonator.  Close winding the coil with the
higher currents I am using short-circuited within the secondary.  Space
winding worked alright, but the coil length needed to be a few inches longer
to get the desired output.

I can't explain why, but this coil appears to work okay.  Any ideas?
Jeff Behary

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com