[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Photography

Terry, my first thought is that you might want to get a handheld light
meter--the kind used for photography.  While I have always had one
available to me and have thus never had to buy one, I don't think
they're that expensive.

Certainly a 3.5 aperature seems to be overkill since you don't need that
much depth of field.  I've used 2 or 2.8 in the past with 800 color
film.  This may be obvious but the best way I found is to use the
shotgun approach with shutter times. I got a 12 exp. roll, started at
1/4 sec shutter, then 1/2, 1, 2, 4, etc.  Be sure to write down each
frame's aperature and shutter setting.  Get them developed and just find
the one that seems to look the best to you.

Your pic doesn't look too bad, but you probably will want to use a
tripod ;)  General rule of thumb is at 1/60 sec or slower you're asking
for shake blur and by 1/15 you will get blurring unless you have ultra
steady hands

I also usually block the spark gap with something dark as it is usually
much brighter than the streamers and you either end up with really dim
streamers or bright streamers with a huge white dot where the spark gap
is.

Hopefully this helps some.

-Stan