[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coax braid vs. solid conductor, was coil pictures andobservations

<<
> IMHO, braid sucks in any RF application, no matter what the wire
> coating. The reason is not the quality of the conductor but that the
> skin effect forces the current to hop strands, and anyone who
> services electronics for a living will know how reliable connections
> are.

> Malcolm >>

Hi Malcolm,

I remember you did those braid vs. other conductor tests.  In your
opinion, how much spark length would be lost (ballbark) by using
coax braid instead of copper tubing or solid wire of the same diameter
in a typical TC that gave a 36" spark, and used about 15 turns on
the primary?  Figure 120 bps sync operation if it makes any difference.

Thanks,
John Freau