[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The forever ongoing upgrade

<< Original Poster: Sebrf-at-aol-dot-com

> Hi all:
> 	Since our revamped Tesla coil is up and running, it's going back to
> the high school for more demo's.  My son's science teacher is becoming a
fan.
> 	While the coil is out of the house, I'm going to build a new
> secondary.  I have some 4" PVC pipe and 1/2 pound of 22 gage wire.  What I
> can't decide is weather to build a 16" or a 20" coil.  And do I have enough
> wire for the task?  Any comments would be appreciated.

> Rich Sebzda
> Your friendly neighborhood catscan repairman.

Rich,

I would say it all depends on how long of a spark you eventually
want.  A longer secondary will give two advantages; more turns of
wire, and more importantly, an increased end to end breakdown
voltage capability.  I often use a 4.2" by 24" secondary in my work
for up to 65" sparks.

John Freau