[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PVC diameter and cap question

Don,

You can use any thickness of PVC you want for your coilform - your
coil's performance will be virtually the same. Since the 6" pipe is
measured by ID (Inside Diameter), using the thicker Schedule 40 or 80
will make the outside diameter larger, increasing the secondary's
inductance a bit. Because thinner material is sometimes hard to find,
many coilers build their systems using Schedule 40, or even schedule 80.
Since you've located a source for thinner material, use it - a coilform
made from the 1/8" wall material will be both strong and lightweight.
It's the same material I've use on my 10" coil so I know that it'll work
- go for it! :^)

I believe someone mentioned awhile back that Fair Radio had sold out of
these 0.01 uF 100,000 VDC caps. There was some disucssion over just what
the dielectric system consisted of, since they did tend to warm up with
use. Based upon their relatively small size, the dielectric material was
quite likely Mylar. Mylar is much lossier than polyethylene or
polypropylene, and it does tend to sap energy from your system, heating
up in the process. However, a couple of coilers on this list have
reportedly used them with success as long as they kept runtimes short
with "cool down" time between runs.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --