[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Math Doodling

In a message dated 6/10/99 2:46:35 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<snip>
>  This suggests that Cp should be made a small as possible, and
>  to maximize Vo, as high a Vin as possible should be employed.  This
>  makes sense because Iin will go up with higher Vin, and bang energy is
>  .5*C*V^2.
>
>  Also, if C is made smaller, dielectric losses maybe REDUCED, with a
>  given capacitor (since dielectric area and volume are reduced).
>  This is the first time that in doodling with the equations, a
>  possible mathematical validation of what has been touted by the TCBOR
>  all along is derived, make tank capacitors small, and leverage energy
>  by the use of very high voltages.
>
>  FYI and discussion. Am I full of it or does this make sense???
>
>  Regards
>
>  DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR

     This all sounds very interesting!  It goes along with what Tesla said
about the primary cap acting like a "slack spring" if the capacitance is too
large.   It would seem that as long as one can supply a high enough voltage
to the primary circuit, without suffering too much corona loss, this would
indeed improve the output.  It seems as though modern coiling has evolved in
the direction of limiting the primary voltage due to the corona loss
difficulties and to the availability of 15kV neons.
     This could cause a new direction for coiling!  I can see the advantages
of the higher primary current from the higher primary voltage and wider total
gap spacing for quenching.     I cannot wait to try out a new configuration
of my primary cap by placing them in series(.0125 uF at 80kVAC) instead of
their present parallel configuration(.05uF at 40kVAC).     Although the max
energy stored will be the same , I have not been using an input of more than
15kV(neon).  I think it is time to try out my high voltage
transformer(possibly goes as high a 70kV - haven't measured this yet).
    Thanks for making us think!!!
Mike