[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Vs Stationary

In a message dated 6/9/99 10:18:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>      Pardon my lack of knowdege,
>  I would like to know if a rotary spark gap HAS to be synchronous to be
>  successful?
>  and also, would there be much use in a RSG on a 4" coil? (are they mainly
> for
>  bigger coils?)
>      Thanks, Michael

Michael,

If you have been reading the list for a while, there have been a few test
reports of smaller coils being run with a syschronous rotary gap compared to
a static gap and an increase in performance shown.  I don't know if the
amount of increase warrants the expense - different folks will probably find
different results since each coil system is somewhat unique.

Once you ramp the power up on a system into the  2 to 3 kva range and higher,
it generally means you are using power supplies capable of delivering several
hundred milliamps and run of the mill static gaps will not quench - a rotary
gap is necessary at these power levels.  I run an asynchronous gap at about 7
to 8 kva.  I have not seen results that show synchronous gaps improve
performance at these levels.  I have not tried it.

Ed Sonderman