[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bang size and break-rate

<<   I should mention that it doesn't matter how the large bang is
 >> created, i.e. either by using a large cap, or a higher input voltage,
 > > the main thing is the large bang size and low break rate.  The higher
 > > voltage might even be a little more efficient due to lower gap and
 > > other tank losses.  The corona onset point is of course the limiting
 > > factor for using higher input voltages.

 > snip.
  >
 > > John Freau

 > I get a strong sence of "katharsis" reading this, since I am running
 > MMC`s from a  20 kV RMS pig, and have not forgotten the initial responce
 > that I got to this homemade pig, where it was pointed out to me, that I
 > should have gone for lower voltages, and saved the high voltage for the
 > magnifier.

 Finn,

 You raise a lot of important issues here.  I agree that old TC beliefs
 must be constantly questioned.  I never could see why a magnifier
 should use a higher voltage than a regular TC.  I don't think a maggy
 works much differently than a normal TC.

 > But what I have in mind specially now, is a discussion about how we
 > build coils today.
 > 800-not much more than 1000 turns secondarys.

 This is an issue that I'm interested in also.  My secondary uses 1500
 turns, and seems to be efficient.  I may do some tests with a smaller
 number of turns to compare.  The only advantages I see of using more
 turns are; lower frequency, and maybe lower gap losses.

 > preferably more than 10 turns primarys.

 There has been endless discussion and disagreement on this point.
 It is interesting that Skip Greiner built a sync gap TC that used the
 same cap size and NST, as mine, and got the same spark length,
 although he used 230 turns in his secondary and I used 1500.  He
 used 5 turns in his primary, I used 24.

 > topload 2-3 times bigger than sec. self-C

 This would seem about right, are you suggesting something different?

 > a cap that matches sec. system res. freq.
 > power: untill it burns up. :-)

 > I have seen, how my sparklength increases, if I apply the available
 > power through a wide sparkgap, thus high voltage, and low breakrate, as
 > opposed to a narrower gap, with lower voltages and a higher breakrate.
 > This is a highly resonant charging system, with a static gap, where only
 > my nerves, and ultimately the cap, sets the voltage limit.

 > If we assume that the secondary system is optimized, with a high Ctop,
 > and we want to increase the bang size, keeping the voltage, and
 > breakrate fixed, the cap must be increased in size for more bang. This
 > in turn requires the primary to be tapped in at fewer turns.

 If we make the coil physically larger too, it will have higher inductance
 in both primary and secondary.  Although the coil may use few primary
 turns, the inductance will be higher.  It is the inductance which is the
 real key, more so than the absolute number of turns, since gap losses,
 and tank surge impedance are controlled by the relative proportions of
 L and C in the tank, rather than by the absolute number of turns.  For
 the same L, a large diameter coil will have fewer turns.

 > It is my impression, from my own experience, and from looking at
 > numerous sites, that the first coil that a person builds is made to meet
 > the "many primary turns" criteria, the next, and bigger coil is
 > frequently not. Many of the big coils have 4-5 turns primarys, Bill
 > Wysoc`s model 14 has only 2. (ok!, it`s a maggie, but still...)

 The many-turns-primary is not universally advocated, even for
 small coils.  There are many experts who just as strongly advocate
 a very small number of turns.  I myself have not explored the issue
 enough.

 > So, is there some mechanism inherent in really big coils that allow for
 > these low primary turns counts, or are the newcomers making a lot of
 > primary turns in vain, for the sake of a (perhaps) outdated tradition.

 My guess is there's nothing different about the large coils that would
 demand fewer turns, especially if the coils are physically proportioned
 the same.

 > If not, I would feel tempted to push for 30 kV in my next design, for
 > low C, high L, even though I alresdy have experienced some of the
 > problems of insulating to 20 kV in my present tank circuit.

 In some tests I did of small cap vs. large cap, I didn't really see any
 difference.  The voltage was varied to keep bang size the same, and
 the spark length was the same.  I used a .0077uF cap, vs. .0147uF
 cap, and adjusted the voltage input, to keep bang size the same;
 the spark output was the same length.  So this test could also be
 considered to be a voltage comparison test depending on how you
 look at it.  If the gap losses were greater at the low voltage, it didn't
 show up in the spark length.  So any theoretical differences must
 be slight in the real world.  (Reinhard will be glad to read this !  :)

 I agree there is still much work to be done to completely explore
 the issues you raised.

 Cheers,
 John Freau