[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neonics wonderland!!!!

At 11:05 AM 6/13/99 -0700, you wrote:

>  Terry -
>
>  Your calcs assume that the primary capacitor is fully charged and
>discharged at each bang. I believe this could be in error because the
>secondary output spark varies in length at each bang  indicating the primary
>capacitor joules and charging is varying.
>
>  Assuming the primary capacitor does not fully discharge how would you test
>to determine the number of joules put into the primary capacitor at each
>bang when the syatem is operating at 120 BPS? Or do you think that the
>NUMBER of primary capacitor charges varies and varies the length of the
>secondary spark output?
>
>  The amount of primary capacitor joules per bang would affect the input
>watts per ft of spark rating.
>
>  John Couture
>
>----------------------------------
snip.......

Hi John,

	I use sync gaps and the system is well tuned to fully charge and fire at
the 120 BPS rate.  Testing has shown that the primary caps almost
completely discharges during each firing.  The paper at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/modact/modact.html

is one of many examples of this.  It is almost impossible to leave
significant voltage on the cap after a bang.  Only a very high speed gap
with many series gaps "can" do this.

	Interestingly, as the output arcs vary, there is little effect on the
charging circuit.  If the power does not make it into the arcs, it gets
burned up in the gap and other primary and secondary system losses.
Indeed, the charging circuit is almost always presented with a discharged
cap that is to be fully charged at each cycle.  The firing almost always
discharges the cap completely.  This seems very independent of the
secondary system.  It is very easy to remove the secondary system without
significantly affecting system input power.  The gap dissipation just goes
up dramatically.  My LTR coil can run many secondary configurations without
any effect on the charging system or system input power.  All that varies
is how and where that power is ultimately dissipated.

	Of course, if one uses a non sync rotary or a system with an unknown BPS,
there will be significant uncertainties.  In that case only a good real
time power meter could measure input power.  I can record input voltage and
current waveforms, send the data files to a computer, and do the numerical
multiplication and integration to measure input power.  However, that
option is not available to most...

Cheers,

	Terry