[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New NST-sync tests, was LTR Charging vs. Firing Time

Hi John,
         I can't speak for computer simulations except those in my
head but from experience I can say that I have never had a smoothly
firing LTR system with a static gap. I am currently building a sync
rotary so hopefully I can catch up with some of your work. At the
least the sync gap appeals because it can force firing according to
mains frequency charging.

> I decided to set up the system to be similar to Terry's, except I used
> a 12kV, 30ma NST, and a .0147uF cap.  This cap is about 2.2 times
> the reso-cap size, which is the same ratio that Terry uses, I think.
> I figured this should give scope results that are similar to his.
>
> When I first installed the NST and tested the system, the first thing
> I noticed was that it ran very poorly.  At the usual gap phase setting,
> the waveform dipped a lot (?), then fired while it was strongly rising,
> well before the cap voltage peak.  The power factor was bad and the
> operation was inefficient.  It needed a radical shift in the
> sync gap phase.  My PT system ran best at around 60 degrees
> ASVP (After the Supply Voltage Peak).  Terry's works best at 75
> degrees ASVP.  This new setup worked best at 135 degrees ASVP.
> At this setting, the voltage gradually rises then peaks, and fires at
> or slightly after the peak.  At this setting, the voltage rise, the
efficiency
> and the power factor (with PFC) seem as good as with the PT.  If I
> set the phase a little earlier, the voltage rise is greater, but the gap
> stops firing suddenly as the variac level is increased.  If i set the
> phase a little later, the voltage rise is less.  I did not expect this
> 135 degree ASVP phasing requirement.

Again I think if you compared the desirable firing angle with the
resonant frequency of the cap and transformer leakage inductance you
would find a correspondence. If not, there would appear to be
something else to learn that has not been taken into account.

> In any case, I tried adding some external ballast, but the more
> I added, the more the output decreased.  This agrees with Terry's
> findings.
>
> I also noticed a wavyness in the charging waveform, I'm not yet sure
> if this is real, or just some type of interference or meaningless
> resonance.

See above. Please keep us posted. Great work as always.

Regards,
Malcolm