[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New NST-sync tests, (Resonant charging effects)

<< > .. a little later, the voltage rise is less.  I did not expect this
> > 135 degree ASVP phasing requirement.
 >

> This makes sense,  because your cap size is now larger than that required
> for resonance at 60Hz.  As a result the phase is radically different.  The
> cap size was much less than resonant size with your ballasted PT.  As
> Malcolm pointed out the optimum phase can be calculated knowing the
> resonant charging frequency.  It is however easier to reference the firing
> angle to the supply voltage zero crossing,  so I will use ZC (zero
> crossing.)

> If Tank cap < Resonant size then best firing is just before supply ZC.
> If Tank cap = Resonant size then best firing is at or near supply ZC.
> If Tank cap > Resonant size then best firing is just after supply ZC.

> If Tank cap < Resonant size then little resonant voltage rise but big IK.
> If Tank cap = Resonant size then big resonant voltage rise and moderate IK
> If Tank cap > Resonant size then little resonant voltage rise & little IK

Richie,

Yes, this does make it clear to me now.  I hadn't really thought it
through enough.  But now i can't understand Terry's results with the
75 degree after-supply-peak-firing since he's using a LTR cap too of
the same basic size ratio as mine.

Thanks a bunch,
John Freau

> The further your cap value is from resonant size,  the further the optimum
> firing angle moves from the supply voltage zero crossing.  The graph of
> optimum firing angle against cap size is actually an inverse tangent !

> You can easily tell if a given ballast and capacitor is resonating above
> or below 60Hz by looking at the firing angle.

> I hope this makes the whole resonant charging thing a bit clearer.

		- Richie,