[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Another MMC cap candidate (UK)

Ritchie,

>They may be able to deliver some quantity to RS Trade counter Gateshead
>and the rest to Corby ??
Maybe but probably each outlet has its own accounting proceedure. I'm
willing
to pick them up at the trade counter here and parcel out.

>The current transformer voltage is 6kv rms,  but the rotary firing and
>resonant charging bring the peak cap voltage to about 12kv.  The DC rating
>of the cap is 12kv so its right on the edge.  The break rate is 200BPS
>sync,  so it is high compared to 100BPS sync but low compared to static
>gaps.  It will be interesting to see if there is any heat build up after
>long runs.

You may be further from the edge than you think - I've been running at 8kV
AC
with 5 and even just 4 in series, in // with my existing cap. No warming
detectable.

>I think the res frequency is more important in CW applications like tube
>coils.  It might be less important in pulsed duty ?

We get away with it becauser it is pulsed but 200kHz must make them
work twice as hard as 100kHz.

>Current wall power is about 600VA,  and spark length is around 28".

Thats very good.

I am building another 3 of these MMC units to run up to 24kv. Power will
be around 2kW.

192 caps - Mick Tucknott is interested, I need 180 - shouldn't be hard to
get to 1000!

Have fun,

Alan
>In sunny Newcastle.
huh - it rained last weekend when I was up