[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary and copper (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:12:23 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Primary and copper (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Antonio,

The best reference I've found, for solenoidal coils at least, is
Frederick Terman's out of print book "Radio Engineer's Handbook",
McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1943, 1019pp. Unlike most other references, he
deals with BOTH skin effect and proximity effects.

About 18 months ago I ran through a calculation (versus measured value)
for my 10" (31" winding, 21 AWG, 90 kHz) secondary, and found that the
impact of skin effect and proximity effect were about the same,
resulting in a total ratio of about 2.4:1 for Rac/Rdc. Terman's classic
goes into very great detail to estimate Rac/Rdc for various coil
geometries. Unfortunately, most of these use empirically-derived
nomagrams and charts combined with equations, and most are not in the
form of true closed-form equations.

For the more general case of skin effect for various geometries
including solenoids, G. A. Schneerson's book "Fields and Transients in
Superhigh Pulse Current Devices", Nova Science Publishers, 1997, 561pp
may be useful. It is, unfortunately, not a very readable book.

Hope this help!

-- Bert --