[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnetic amplifiers revisited

Hi Eddie,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Eddie Burwell <eburwell-at-HIWAAY-dot-net>
>
>  <snip>
>   I imagine variacs employ tapewound cores which would make them good
> candidates for mag-amps. It would be a problem if they employ cut cores, but
> I'm sure someone on the list has dissected a few and could shed some light
> on this. Control windings could be wound over the original windings.
>
> Eddie Burwell

I've cut a couple variacs. One had thin laminations in a rolled configuration.
The other was a solid form, such as a solid iron core composite. Both were
time
consuming to cut with a gravity band saw. That's about all I can tell you on
your idea here, but it does sound possible. I don't think it would be too
difficult to remove the original windings and rewind the core if needed.

Bart