[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Partial Discharges.....A good reason for cap failure?

Hi Reinhard and all

My first effort at a classic rolled cap was 60 mil of polyethylene,
connections on the ends of the plates, in mineral oil. With 60 ma
15 kV it lasted about 3 hours total before punching through at a
plate edge. Worked really well though. Smelled very bad when
opened up.

Second try was 90 mil polypropylene in 3 x 30 mil with edge
connections, vacuum pumped, and a lot of care taken with
cleanliness and edge smoothing. It lasted many hours at 120 ma,
15 kV but the oil slowly darkened, and I finally put it to work as a 60
Hz resonator with the NST's when I got commercial caps.

It's quite evident that a single cap is not going to last forever
in Tesla use - several in series will likely last much longer.

LR