[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electrostatically driven coil (Building your own HV transformer)

Bob Misiura wrote:

> A Wimshurst machine with four foot glass disks, in an oak cabinet, with
> etched glass doors (preferably driven by a steam engine with a polished
> brass boiler and centrifugal governor) charging five foot tall leyden
> jars, powering a Tesla coil . . . you can see where this is going.

I like the idea! This may even work, but this will not be a very
powerful Tesla coil. A Wimshurst machine of this size would produce
about 100 W of electric power, at maybe 300 kV with careful
insulation and large diameter conductors, requiring about 500 W of
mechanical power. Less voltage would also decrease the power in more
than linear proportion. This high primary voltage would be problematic.
More practical would be a multiple machine, producing more current at
lower voltage.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz