[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lowered Expectations

Hi Jim,

> Original Poster: "JimmyD" <jim_del-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> Is there any reason one couldn' build a Spark Gap Tesla Coil setup using
> 120v line voltage?

Assuming I'm reading this correctly, you could build it, but you would never
fire across an air gap. It takes a high enough voltage to arc across a gap
which is why high voltage transformers are used in TC's as well as many other
"arc need" setups. The spark gap is a switch which can handle the
voltage/currents we require. Until a solid state switch can be employed that
can handle the load, the spark gap is the best we have, which means some
amount
of high voltage is required.

Bart